Frequently Asked Questions

Is your seminary accredited?

Yes, Central Seminary is fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, is a member of the American Association of Christian Colleges & Seminaries (AACCS), and is approved by (1) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for Enrollment of Foreign Students, and (2) State and Federal Approving Agency for Veterans Benefits.

Can I transfer credits earned from other seminaries?

Yes, many students receive some transfer credit for coursework completed in other graduate programs. Although language credits (Greek & Hebrew) do not transfer, students who pass proficiency exams are granted electives that may be filled by coursework completed elsewhere, so long as the content and depth of coursework meets the standards of Central Seminary. For more information about transfer of credits check here.

Do I need to relocate to Minneapolis to attend Central?

Central Seminary offers a variety of learning options that fit various schedules. Classes are offered in either semester (including Thursday evenings) or module schedules. Students can complete any program (graduate or postgraduate) residentially, online  through our synchronous distance platform, or a combination of both.

Can I get on-campus employment?

Opportunities for employment on campus are limited, but employment is readily available in the Twin Cities. For free resources to help you find a job, visit For assistance in finding local employment, email

Do you offer financial assistance?

Financial assistance is available to students of Central Seminary, as funds permit, in the form of gifts and scholarships. Scholarship applications are available online. Students may apply for assistance each semester, and available funds are distributed on the basis of need. The seminary does not wish any student to be forced from his or her studies due to financial constraints and will do as much as possible to help those who are in true need. Some area churches also provide assistance to those students who actively serve with them.

Do you provide any housing or dormitories?

While Central Seminary does not own married-student housing or dormitories, housing is plentiful in the area and easy to find. Most of our students rent apartments in suburbs west of Minneapolis, such as St. Louis Park, Golden Valley, Crystal, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Maple Grove, and Plymouth. Rent averages between $650 and $1200 per month, depending on location, size, and amenities. Some of our single students share an apartment, which significantly lowers housing costs. For a list of apartments, visit or (apartments) or (apartments | houses). Module students are encouraged to contact the school to see if volunteer housing is available. For assistance in finding housing, email


Can I take courses if I have not completed a bachelor’s degree?

Individuals without a bachelors degree may take classes as visitors or non-degree students, or they may enroll in the Diploma in Bible and Theology program.

How long will it take to finish my degree?

Length of degree programs varies. Students enrolled in the Master of Arts in Theology program can complete their degrees in 2-3 years. On average, Master of Divinity students need 4 years to complete their degrees, although some finish in 3 years.

Do I need to take the GRE?

Only students enrolling in the Master of Theology (Th.M) must take the GRE exam.
We encourage these students to send us early “unofficial” copies of their GRE test scores to be used for internal evaluation for admission. Before a student can be admitted, however, we need “official” results (no more than 5 years old) from the testing agency. Our institutional code is 6953.
For up-to-date information about taking the GRE, visit ETS’s GRE web site.